New up-to-date maps have been added to the kiosks at Moore Park. A large map has been placed in the new kiosk at Eulalona Trailhead. Smaller maps have been placed at the kiosks at the north end of Eulalona Tr, the gingerbread house kiosk, and at BuckRidge at the northern end of Klamath Ridgeview Tr. The old maps were getting pretty rough and faded. The new ones should hold up better over time.
Just a short note to announce that the new trails: Queen of the Lake, Lower Winema, and North Star are all open for business. GO ride them and have fun. Watch out riding Queen of the Lake as the rocks are tough and the trail is narrow and steep in places.
The trail building year is about to finish for 2019. Hopefully by sometime in the first week of June the new trails should be completed and opened. Currently:
1) Queen of the Lake: There is a gap of about 1/4 mile still to go. Work is concentrating on this trail. It’s a slow process.
2) Winema: Essentially completed. About 1.80 miles of green and blue trail.
3) North Star: Almost completed with about 1/4 mile of grooming to finish. Total Length 3.35 mi, green.
Logging operations on Brown Mountain Trail have been completed for the season and the trail is open, but for the snow that is present on the higher parts of the trail. That snow amounts to patches in the 1-2 ft deep range mostly above 5000 ft. Hopefully that should melt in the next few weeks.
The trails are coming along and the work should be done in the next couple weeks. Currently:
1) Queen of the Lake: The gap as of yesterday is about .35 miles. The work has been slow recently as the rocks are very large and everywhere. The bright spot in all this is that the worst of the rocks are behind them and they actually have some dirt to make a trail again. This is going to be a really nice trail when complete.
2) Winema: Almost fully completed with only a short section of grooming remaining. So about 1.30 miles of blue and 0.5 miles of green trail.
3) North Star: About 2.25 miles cut with some grooming remaining in that distance. They are working from both sides and hope to bridge the 1 mile gap next week some time.
The Dirt Mechanics trail work is going well. The work on Winema and North Star is mostly machine and goes fairly quickly. The work on QOTL is completely by hand and is slow. As of yesterday:
1) Winema: The blue portion is mostly complete except for a section of hand grooming that needs to be completed. The green upper 0.5 mi section is being cut presently.
2) North Star: At present about 1.9 miles of trail has been cut, most of which is fully groomed. There is about 1.35 mi left to complete.
3) Queen of the Lake: about 0.4 miles in the center is yet to be completed. There is about 0.6 miles complete on the south side and 0.9 miles complete on the north side.
The Spence trails are coming along nicely with a lot of work going on this week.
1) The blue portion of Winema (about 1.3 mi) is almost complete an just requires some grooming to get it into shape. I rode this trail and it is going to be a fun one. There is a nice alternate line on the lower part of this trail that has some tough rocks. There will also likely be a climbing road for this trail to allow it to be mostly downhill and providing loops for sessioning these sections of trail.
2) About 1.35 miles of North Star had been cut as of yesterday. This is a green trail looks pretty flat on paper but has enough hill to provide some fun/swoopy stretches.
3) About 1.2 miles of Queen of the lake is complete. this trail is almost completely hand-built because of the steep terrain and abundant rocks (often very large). The work is slow but most of the bodies are working here to get this trail complete. This trail is quite pretty, lined with trees and large rocks (nice views also). The rocks and short steep pitches make this trail fairly tough.
1) In the interest of decreasing the number of intersections and improving the trail flow in the spaghetti bowl that is Moore Park there is a new reroute of Autobahn Tr so that it doesn’t intersect with Powerline anymore. It now connects to an unnamed connector and will go to the Stonehenge/Sawmill intersection.
2) The top of Ratcamp is being rerouted to intersect with the Sonehenge/Eulalona junction directly instead of 50 yards away.
3) A new reroute of Klamath Ridgeview Tr is planned for later this month to bypass the swampy areas present near 5-gallon and Big Sky trails.
4) New trail signs are going up on the trails along the river to improve navigation.
We went out and rode Spence yesterday. The trails are in great shape right now and I am told the snowy section near the top is mostly gone with only a couple of hike-a-bike sections left. Trail building is proceeding well. Currently North Star has about 1.3 miles of trail cut (40% of the total?), about 1 mile of that fully groomed. The blue section of Winema is about 2/3 complete – should be completed this coming week. Queen of the Lake has about 0.9 miles left to complete, but that is some tough terrain to build in and will take a while as it is being cut entirely by hand.
Most of the trails in the Klamath Falls area are open for business. Moore Park is open but for a few areas that are always muddy this time of year. Spence Mountain is also almost entirely open. The only snowy areas are on the north side of the mountain near the top (mainly between jct 2 and jct 3). Those areas should be improving quickly now with the warmer weather. The work at Spence is continuing. We should have an update on the trail work there tomorrow.
Dirt Mechanics is hard at work building Queen of the Lake this week. This trail starts in dense forest and has very nice views once you are out to the lake. I’m looking for ward to riding and walking on this trail. Could be done by the end of the month? A lot of rocks to move in the meantime.